Why is boat safety important?
- The highest number of fatalities resulting from boat accidents in 2019 was associated with persons who fell overboard. Over 63% of those who fell overboard did not survive the accident
- Additionally, the highest number of accidents involved those where boats collided with more than 65% of those accidents resulting in injury or death of boaters
- Lastly, of those who drowned in a boating accident, more than 82% were not wearing a life jacket
What can I do to be more safe?
Use good judgement
- Check the weather before you go
- Use a departure check list to ensure your equipment is available and in good working order
- Dress properly
- Use sunscreen
- Wear a life jacket
- Recognize and respect your limits to avoid injury
- Don’t drink and boat
- Use common sense
- Pay attention to weather changes