Why is boat safety important?
- Over 63% of those who fell overboard in 2019 did not survive the accident representing the highest number of boating accident deaths
- Additionally, the highest number of accidents involved those where boats collided with more than 65% of those accidents resulting in injury or death of boaters
- Lastly, of those who drowned in a boating accident, more than 82% were not wearing a life jacket
For more statistics on boating accidents please check out the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Coast Guard, Office of Auxiliary and Boating Safety Report, 2019.
What can I do to be more boat safety conscious?
Use good judgement
- Take a boating education course
- Be familiar with state boating laws
- Know the “Rules of the Road“
- Learn about carbon monoxide poisoning on boats with motors
- Check the weather before you go
- Use a departure check list to ensure your equipment is available and in good working order
- Dress properly
- Use sunscreen
- Wear a life jacket
- Recognize and respect your limits to avoid injury
- Don’t drink and boat
- Use common sense
- Pay attention to weather changes