Why is boat safety important?
- Over 63% of those who fell overboard in 2019 did not survive the accident representing the highest number of boating accident deaths
- Additionally, the highest number of accidents involved those where boats collided with more than 65% of those accidents resulting in injury or death of boaters
- Lastly, of those who drowned in a boating accident, more than 82% were not wearing a life jacket
What can I do to be more boat safety conscious?
Use good judgement
- Check the weather before you go
- Use a departure checklist to ensure your equipment is available and in good working order
- Dress properly
- Use sunscreen
- Wear a life jacket
- Recognize and respect your limits to avoid injury
- Don’t drink and boat
- Use common sense
- Pay attention to weather changes
For more summer safety, please visit summer safety tips.