What is the process for onsite sewer?
Onsite sewage disposal systems are administered by the local health department and guided by a number of statues and regulations.
- The first step is to have an onsite evaluation performed to determine if the site and soil conditions are suitable for onsite wastewater systems. The site evaluation is performed by trained Health Department staff or an engineer.
- System design layout by a certified installer and an application for onsite-sewage disposal system construction permit must be submitted to the local health department.
- Permit will be issued by the health department if the application is approved.
- Initial installation inspection is scheduled and installer’s affidavit is submitted to the health department.
- Final inspection once installation is complete.
Documents and References
Site Evaluation Application
Procedures for Approved Septic System Installation
902 KAR 10:081 Construction standards for components of on-site sewage disposal systems
902 KAR 10:085 Kentucky on-site sewage disposal systems
902 KAR 10:110 Issuance of on-site sewage disposal system permits
902 KAR 10:140 On-site sewage disposal system installer certification program standards
902 KAR 10:150 Domestic septage disposal site approval procedures
902 KAR 10:160 Domestic septage disposal site operation
902 KAR 10:170 Septic tank servicing