Who is at risk?
- Persons of all ages are at risk of injury
- According to the National Safety Council, pedestrians aged 55-64 have the highest incidence of death in traffic accidents at 23% in 2018
How can I stay safe as a pedestrian?
- Use crosswalks where available – don’t rely on lights only, make sure traffic stops before you cross
- Wear clothing that makes you more visible, especially if walking after dark
- Stay alert, keep your phone down
- Avoid alcohol or drugs when walking
- Watch for cars entering your path
- Follow the rules of the road as well as traffic laws and signals
- Use a sidewalk if possible
- Children under 10 should cross the street with a responsible adult
How can I ensure pedestrian safety as a driver?
- Recognize pedestrian safety as a shared responsibility
- Obey all traffic laws
- Yield to pedestrians
- Never pass a vehicle stopped at a crosswalk
- Do not use alcohol or drugs that impair you ability
- Stay alert and avoid distractions